Friday 3 September 2010

3 Sept 10

Climate Change Battle with East Hants DC Goes On

After some weeks, the chief executive of East Hampshire District Council has responded to my letter criticising his council’s stance on supposed man-made climate change.

The nub of his letter is contained in the sentence “Following government guidance and information that we receive we believe that climate change is an issue to the district.”

I have copied both my original letter and my latest response to the chairman of the council, to my local councillor, and to the councillor responsible for the council’s communications team, who wrote and published the original stream of nonsense.

My latest missive also clarifies an omission in the original, namely that “the largest greenhouse gas in the earth’s atmosphere by far is water vapour”. I also apologised for over-stating the CO2 content in the atmosphere by a factor of ten. Instead of saying that CO2 made up one-third of one percent of the earth’s atmosphere, the correct figure should have been 0.0385 percent. I am obliged to Professor Derek Smith for pointing out my misplacement of the decimal point which, he also pointed out, improved my case by the same tenfold!

In response to the CEO’s noncommittal letter I added :

You appear to argue that you and your council are entitled to accept anything the government says with uncritical eyes. Yet that is precisely not what I – and doubtless thousands of other tax-payers in East Hants - expect from you. Do you normally ignore facts – or just when it suits you?

Why else were our councillors elected, and you appointed, if it were not to apply critical analysis to everything that directly affects this district? Answer me that. The implications are seriously worrying.

Parking the issue of alleged climate change and then raising the entirely laudable aim of protecting our environment (which I mentioned in the first place) merely fudges the issue at hand. There can be no proper connection because the former is a sham.

Later you tell me exactly what I complained of! Your website on this subject won’t publish my letter because a lad in the office has decided it is too long. For the want of a nail….! As you must be aware, you can perfectly well publish my letter in your next Partners Magazine.

Meanwhile, I commend this simple piece of science to you…

Put a glass of water on a sunny window-sill. After a while bubbles will form on the inside of the glass. This is dissolved gas being released.

Why is the gas being released? There can be only one logical explanation - the increased warmth of the water has released the gas. Any O level physics student from the 1950's knows this.

It is absurd to argue the reverse - that the formation of the gas bubbles has heated the water. Yet carbon footprint theory is based on this simple fallacy.

You cannot reverse demonstrable cause and effect and still call it science.

Ashley Mote

(Member of the European Parliament 2004-09)

To respond to, or comment on this Email, please email ashley.mote@btconnect.com

Click www.ashleymote.co.uk to visit the site now.